Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty
During our lifetime, our abdomen experiences a plethora of changes. Be it during pregnancy or a change in weight, our abdominal fascia often stretches and contracts, causing a flabby abdomen.
A flabby abdomen is the result of two primary reasons, fat accumulation or poor elasticity. In both of these cases, the abdominal fascia and muscles extend from the ribs to the pubic bone, resulting in the girdle being stretched. This brings about a change in the tone and appearance of the abdomen.
However, a flabby abdomen can be easily corrected. A tummy tuck provides you with the way to get rid of excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen. Also referred to as abdominoplasty, the tummy tuck even allows you to get rid of stretch marks that may have formed on your lower abdomen.
When Should You Get A Tummy Tuck
The aforementioned reasons are the fundamental causes of propelling people to get a tummy tuck. However, if you still feel confused, the following will provide you with clarity:
- Excessive accumulation of skin and fat around the belly button.
- A weaker abdominal wall.
- Unsuccessful liposuction.
- Scarring due to C-section.
When Should You not Get A Tummy Tuck
- A woman patient who is planning to get pregnant-it is advisable to postpone the procedure until you complete your family. Future pregnancies can separate the vertical muscles which are tightened during surgery.
- A patient planning to lose lots of weight – the skin will further be loosened after weight loss.
The abdominoplasty procedure is commenced by the means of general anesthesia. The separated flap of skin is then stretched over the newly tightened muscles and any excess skin is removed. Finally, the abdominoplasty procedure is concluded by reattaching the navel to a natural position and closing the incisions.
There are different types of Abdominoplasty. Your cosmetic surgeon will determine which procedure is best suited for you. This is based on the amount of loose skin, excess fat and the laxity of abdominal wall muscles. The options include
1. Tummy Tuck (complete Abdominoplasty): In this procedure, incisions are made, either from one side of the hip bone to the other and around the navel. The skin flap is then separated from the abdominal muscles. The muscles on each side of the midline are tightened. The skin flaps are pulled together and stitched into place to form a narrowed wrist.
2. Mini Tummy Tuck (partial Abdominoplasty): Mini Tummy Tuck procedures are done on patients who have fat deposits below naval. They have minimal excess skin and mild abdominal wall laxity.
3. Circumferential Abdominoplasty: This procedure is done when there is an excess of skin and fat on the abdomen, back and hip area. This procedure is commonly done after Weight loss surgery. This helps to restore the body contour in three dimensions.
4. Lipoabdominoplasty: In this procedure, Liposuction is done at the same time for the upper abdomen, flanks and back to give better results. Liposuction helps in additional regional contouring and better sculpting results.
It generally takes 2-4 hours depending upon the type of procedure and the amount of work needs to be done.
Pre and Post-Surgical Care
Pre-Surgical care for abdominoplasty includes:
- Smoking activities should be prohibited for 3 weeks before the surgery.
- Washing your body with an antimicrobial soap will decrease the chances of an infection.
- All your medications should be submitted to the anesthesiologist for review.
Post-Surgical care for a tummy tuck includes:
- Minimize activities that can result in bleeding, swelling, and the separation of incisions.
- Avoid direct or indirect exposure to the sun to prevent any permanence of changes to the pigment changes.
Risk And Complications
possible Tummy tuck risk includes bleeding and collection of blood under skin flap(Haematoma), Infection, fluid accumulation(seroma), poor wound healing, numbness, blood clots in deep veins of legs, scar hypertrophy or keloid. All surgeries carry risks associated with anesthesia.
During the initial recovery period, the patient may experience swelling and bruising. This subsides in three to six weeks. you may have some drains put which are removed once it stops draining fluids usually in 3-5 days. You will be asked to start walking soon after surgery to prevent the development of blood clots in leg veins. After 7-10 days stitches will be removed and you will be given instructions about the dressing care, shower and return to normal activities. You will be required to wear compression Garment in order to minimise the swelling and help proper healing. The surgery scars will be fade with time and they can be further improved with scar creams and RecoSMA Laser treatment
You will begin to appreciate your new slimmer profile within one or two weeks after surgery once the swelling has been subsided. The results you have obtained with your abdominoplasty surgery will remain as long as you maintain healthy lifestyle.please do remember that the results cosmetic surgery are not permanent as ageing is a constant process.
The Costs Involved
“Quality care does not equate to being expensive”
We, at our Arra Aesthetics, do not believe that high-quality treatment has to, necessarily, be expensive in nature. It has been one of our high-points to provide you with a mode of treatment that highly effective, superior as well as cost-effective in nature. Our systems provide care to all forms of patients. Be it patients who wish to pay for their own care.
To know more about the Cosmetology procedures, you can consult our team of experts by filling the form below. We will direct you to our surgeons for professional and expert guidance.
For requesting a consultation, Book an appointment now.
Why Arra Aesthetics
Arra Aesthetics is an internationally renowned team of veteran doctors and expert consultants in the Cosmetology Industry.
Cosmetology is a subject which is often associated with a number of misconceptions and confusions. At Arra Aesthetics, we ensure that the queries and questions of our clients will be dealt with the utmost attention and priority.
Confidence is a factor that depends on multiple characteristics. For a lot of people, the way that they look or want to look is one of such. At Arra Aesthetics, we make sure that you are able to achieve this. Being one of the most trusted cosmology providers, we perform thousands of procedures every year. We provide the most experienced of surgeons to perform your surgery who are dedicated to providing you with an exceptional level of care.